U. S. Nitrate Village No. One - under construction.
Construction began 10/23/1917.
The Village is an excellent example of prefabrication and standardization. In order to save time and money, all hardware was standardized and large crews were put on each project. When the First World War ended with the signing of the armistice on 11/11/1918, construction and operation were out on standby.
When the TVA was established in 1933, the TVA employees and their families moved into Village One and opened the school for children of its employees.